Import from Family Tree Maker

Gesperrt
Demetrio

Import from Family Tree Maker

Beitrag von Demetrio »

I just installed this software today because a friend recomend it to me. I use to use FamilyTree maker but I lost the sw license and can not move the sw to a new computer.
I would like to import the FTM database files to ahnenblatt, but could not do it till now. Any sugestions?
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

Is it possible to save a Gedcom-File (.ged) from FamilyTreeMaker?
Marcus
Paul R

Beitrag von Paul R »

Sorry this reply is so late! It is certainly possible to save a Gedcom file from FamilyTreeMaker (FTM routinely saves its data as a compressed Gedcom for which it uses a .zed file extension).
To save your FTM project as a Gedcom (.ged) file, click on File on the menu bar and then select Export Gedcom in the drop-down menu. Several windows then take you through the export process (very easy!), allowing you to decide just what information you want to include.
Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

If you have the ged-File, you can just load it into Ahnenblatt. If you have none, you should check if it is possible to do the export with your current copy of FTM or if someone else could do the export for you.
If the zed-File is just an zipped gedcom, maybe you can unzip them with a zip-program like 7zip? Though I don't believe that it is that easy.
Marcus
Chlodwig
Super Moderator

Beitrag von Chlodwig »

Hi Demetrio,

Maybe this will help you:

Zed! is a software for zipping files and you get it as freeware
http://www.primx.eu/en/zed-le.aspx

Then if you unzipped your .zed- file, it should be a normal .ged- File. This one you just open with AB.

Good luck,
Chlodwig
Gruß, Chlodwig
Haloosia

2 in 1

Beitrag von Haloosia »

Hi.
I think it is very good program. I'd import my GED files and they see rather good now in Ahnenblatt format. I have one question:

Is it possible to connect 2 trees? I have few GED files - for my mother's family, my father's family, my husband's one too.

I'd like to have one big tree. Is it possible to automate joining them?
Or I must create the big tree by hand?
Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

You should save your Gedcom-Files as ahn-Files and with these Copies you can now use the "Add ..."-Command from the "File"-Menu (to add one file to another) and after you added all files you use "Merge persons ..." from the the "Edit"-Menu to Merge these persons which have been in more than one file.

After you have all persons in one file and the connections are correct you can print the tree you wish.

Always work with copies of the files when using the "Add" and "Merge Person" functions!
Marcus
Gesperrt