Password

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
Johny

Password

Beitrag von Johny »

Is it possible to enter a password to open a program or a tree?
Chlodwig
Super Moderator

Re: Password

Beitrag von Chlodwig »

If this is a serious question, pleas give more details to answer it.
Gruß, Chlodwig
Johny

Beitrag von Johny »

I meant that in order to protect the data bystanders could not have access to the program and by the way .ahn file could not be read on another copy of the program without the password. You might be able to introduce such an option to the menu.
Mathemagician

Beitrag von Mathemagician »

Johny,

I don't believe that Ahnenblatt has that feature. However, you could do a work-around by utilizing an archive (ie. zip) utility, such as the excellent freeware 7-Zip, which allows you to encrypt and zip files easily. Whenever you unzip the database file, for example, it will prompt for a password. It would, of course, require you to re-zip (with password) after use. With a little preparation, you could write a simple batch file to do everything except supply the password.

Another way, depending on the sophistication of the persons trying to gain access, would be to hide the Ahnenblatt folder - there are tools on the Internet to do that. The database is mostly unreadable without Ahnenblatt.

Then there is the physical protection scheme - just keep your data file on a flash drive!
Allen T.
British Columbia, Canada

"Little did I know how little I knew..."
Antworten