Export in PDF non vertical lines

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
axelair

Export in PDF non vertical lines

Beitrag von axelair »

Hi,

I first want to thank you for your software !

I just would like to know how to have only vertical lines between parents and childs.
When I export the file to print it, I got many non vertical lines (like on the attachment files) which is not easy to watch ...

Thank you for your help.

Axel
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

You can't force Ahnenblatt to use only vertical lines.
If you generate an ancestors tree which shows only the direct ancestors with no siblings and no descendants of the respective ancestors, then Ahnenblatt uses only verical lines. But as soon as it has to show more people it places the people differently and you get the crooked lines.
Marcus
Noctali

Beitrag von Noctali »

I was wondering the same question Axelair had asked and Marcus solved. So thank you for that even if it is sometimes ugly to see these diagonals !

Sorry for the "topic bumping" but maybe you can also help me with this problem : it happens in my genealogy that a couple appears many times in many places. In this case, when I want to display a "classical" tree, the software gives the ancestors of this couple only once (for the first left-most apparition of the couple) and makes a reference by a numerotation for all the others apparitions. I get a tree with some amputations. Is there a way to change the setting to make the software to display all the branches ?

Thanks and sorry for the english.
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 34 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Noctali,

what do you mean by "many times in many places"? More than two times? I hope, it is due to family reasons and not a program bug? But yes, like in more complicated tables, the program AB reduces the apparition of common ancestors to one branch also in the classical view (and saves space by that). I do imagine that another behavior is desired, but there ist no switch for that. Anyhow, the export module of AB uses the capabilities of software genealogy by arranging the persons dynamically - and not in a classical pattern.

EDIT: Presumably most genealogical software will treat an implex/pedigree collapse (wikipedia) that way, won't they?

B.t.w. I saw that you apologized for your English last year - but it appears to be excellent to me!

Fridolin
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Noctali

Beitrag von Noctali »

I realise I didn't thank you, Fridolin, for the answer you gave.
You described precisely my problem (indeed, it is an implex) but unfortunately for me, there is no solution for the moment.
Even if there are several softwares more famous which can certainly solve my problem, Ahnenblatt remains the most ergonomic and useful for my informations collection (especially when I am away from home).

PS : thanks for the pep talk ! But I keep feeling ashamed when I try to speak in front of native speakers because I know I'm making mistakes !
Druhan

Vertical Lines

Beitrag von Druhan »

I really would rather have all vertical lines, especially in my case where the tree is very large and the angle of the lines becomes so sharp that it becomes unsightly and almost impossible to follow. Is there anyway I can export the tree I made in Ahnenblatt and edit it in some other application on my computer? I am open to any suggestions of what I could use or how I can get this done.
Thanks in advance,
Druhan
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 34 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Druhan,

sometimes it's really hard (and impossible on the screen) to follow the inclined lines which get so near one to another. I had a look if my graphics software (for both pixel and vector graphics) would deal with a Ahnenblatt PDF or WMF table - but the characters are partially displaced, so it's no use that I can shift the lines.

In my view the only thing you can do is: Print the table in a size not too small, so you can follow the lines. Or test with another start person if the graphic would change a bit.

I have about 20 generations which would sum up to half a million of ancestors in one line - no wonder they will slip a lot if I've only fifty out of them and the branches are not spread in the same part.

Frido
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Antworten