Problem with choice of the people

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Yves AUBERT

Problem with choice of the people

Beitrag von Yves AUBERT »

Hello,
I have a problem, If a double appears, the proposed list of double does not appear ( see the screenshot of my computer)
thank you for your response
Yves
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

Never seen before and I'm not able to reproduce this. Does it work with other people or isn't this function working at all in this file?
If so, what about the example-files of Ahnenblatt. Does it work there?
Marcus
Yves AUBERT

Hello Marcus,
I downloaded again the software 2.95a and the examples but the problem is always present with the examples... :(
Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

Do you use the "zip-Version" or do you install Ahnenblatt with the setup-file?
Marcus
Yves AUBERT

I install Ahnenblatt with setup file (full version)
Yves
Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

Did you try to unsinstall, download the new version again and reinstall? If that doesn't help, can you test it with the zip-Version (just unpack it in a folder in your download-folder) on the same computer?
Remember to delete the zip-Version, to not get confused later with which programm you're working. ;-)
We have to detect, if it is dependent on your Ahnenblatt, your files or your Operating system/environment.
Marcus
Jürgen T.

Beitrag von Jürgen T. »

Hello,

i guess this happens, when you didn't save the data before typing in the double person.
Gruß
Jürgen
Yves AUBERT

Hello,
I install the zip version and it the same problem, Sometimes the proposals appear but it is random.
I try to save before the research but it is the same... (Jürgen T' proposal)
Yves
Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

Hello Yves,

is this problem still there with the new version 2.96?
Marcus
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Salut Yves,

j'ai rarement eu ce problème; mais plus depuis des mois. Ca a allé pour toi aussi maintenant?

If this happens, you still have the possibility to look after the person manually in the "all persons"/"toutes personnes" overview tab. I don't have an idea, either, where this comes from - but alas, it passed by for me.

EDIT: I've had a similar problem while entering a new person - say, as a child of somebody: After entering name and sex, I get a blank selection window asking which of the (0) persons to choose or to generate a new person. So maybe: No, it hasn't passed away - I still have the "problem", too. But in fact it's a question of comfort or style, isn't it? Everything works anyway.

FZiegler
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Yves AUBERT

Hello FZiegler,
I always have the same problem. By taking all the people I have the complete list of my base.
Yes it works but it is longer to look for if the person exists or not...

Thanks

Yves
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Yves,

I can confirm a similar 'problem', which still appears: When I want to set a new person, I get a blank list of people where I'm asked to select the right person from. This doesn't make much sense. I don't remember whether it's always or only sometimes - or the cases when it happens.

Indeed, I haven't exactly understood your situation when it happens. Your wrote: ' If a double appears, the proposed list of double does not appear'. As far as I know, I mostly haven't a double matching already in the stored data. It only looks like I should have (in the opinion of the software). I just want to insert a new person (I don't remember whether it happens while setting a new person directly from the navigator or from another person's window).

In fact, I got used to the prompt and don't care much about it any more - usually I know the person is new and not yet part of the database. If you're not sure: When you switch to "All persons", I think you can type in the beginning of the name or even nane and first name (EDIT: no, you can't - see below), so you can look quickly if the person is already there or not. You don't have to scroll through the whole list.

But you're right: It would be nice if the automatism didn't fail all the time. So: ...waiting for a better description of the problem, so that Dirk B. can find the point of error. Now knowing you've still the same problem, I will try to document the case when the problem appears. Will take a few weeks. (in the navigator, in the )

The question from Marcus was: Does this happen in the sample database, too? Up to now, I haven't tried.

With kind greetings to France,

Fridolin
Zuletzt geändert von Fridolin am 19.02.2017, 00:35, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Yves,

unfortunately, my last post was wrong in one point: There is no possibility to insert a search term into the "all persons" list. So you really have to scroll through the list to find out, whether there is the right person already in the database or not. What a pity - because in other contexts, the same window pops up with the possibility to put a search string in.

But I've got an idea in which cases those empty 'select-a-person'-windows pop up: I've had the case for several times where I wanted to generate a new child or sibling that had the same name (or the same beginning of the first name) as its father - in those cases I got the empty selector window. I think the software found a person with a matching name and wanted to propose it - but then was restrained by finding out that it was already a related person. Maybe this suspicion is right.

@Marcus: Could we please have an error number for that?

Fridolin

Marcus
Administrator

Beitrag von Marcus »

I'm still not convinced that here is an error at all.

Maybe the function is just misunderstood?
FZiegler hat geschrieben:But I've got an idea in which cases those empty 'select-a-person'-windows pop up: I've had the case for several times where I wanted to generate a new child or sibling that had the same name (or the same beginning of the first name) as its father - in those cases I got the empty selector window. I think the software found a person with a matching name and wanted to propose it - but then was restrained by finding out that it was already a related person. Maybe this suspicion is right.
In the example file of Ahnenblatt (Beispiel.ahn):
If I select "Beckmann, Josef Arthur Wilhelm" and go to his wife "Regina". There I want to add a new child (with the name "Robert"). After typing "Robert" and selecting "male" I get an empty field of persons, because nobody in my family can match this person. The only available "Robert Beckmann" is the father of Reginas husband and can not be the son of both of them.

If I want to add a Robert as her 2nd husband, I get a not empty list after typing "Beckmann" and "Robert", since the father of Josef could very well be the 2nd husband of Regina.

Is there a combination in your family where you don't get any proposals but would expect one (or even more?). If so, could you create such a situation in the example file too?
Marcus
Antworten