larger relationship tree with no hidden branches

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
chrimeea

larger relationship tree with no hidden branches

Beitrag von chrimeea »

First of all congratulations for this program.
I have an issue with the tree display. I have a tree showing five generations (five rows), and even if I choose larger relationship tree (ancestors tree), I cannot see a branch that shows the spouse and descendents of a specific person on the third row (five rows in total, first rows are youngest persons). The children of that person would be 3rd degree cousins of the person on the first row, but their entire branch is not shown. Their branch is only shown if I choose to see the ancestors of a person that is a direct descendent on that branch, otherwise that branch is not shown. I use 2.99e portable. So is this a bug, or is there a way to see all the branches with no hidden branches ?
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 28 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Chrimeea,

You entered a bunch of persons and are trying to get them all in one tree, right? Well, there is the ancerstors type and the descendants type of trees. And you should get all persons as long as they are all of that type - as soon as you mix ancestors and descendants or spouses with their ancestors in a descendants tree respectively descandants and spouses of siblings in an ancestors tree, there is a technical limit of 2D projection: at some moment, lines would have to cross so that all persons could be shown - at that's the point where Ahnenblatt omits persons so that this won't happen; it's a no-go in classical familiy trees.

One thing you could do: play around with the settings - try other starting persons, try hourglass "trees" with different starting persons, and maybe you get at least a result with more persons you wanted.

Frido
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
chrimeea

Beitrag von chrimeea »

Looking at my particular tree, it looks like with some reordering of the persons, it would be possible to show more branches without lines crossing each other, but I don't have any control of the person ordering, do I ?
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

A few days ago, I just found the first person that could have been added with some resorting. Besides, Dirk did an excellent job arranging family constellations on the PC.

No, there is no way to directly reconfigure the graph. You just can play around with the starting person and the options (more possibilities with an hourglass)... sorry, I already told.

Frido

chrimeea

Beitrag von chrimeea »

I understand and thank you for your help.

As for the future, I think it would be useful to allow for some options on the auto-sort button. E.g. an option to sort to maximize the number of persons shown.
chrimeea

adopted child

Beitrag von chrimeea »

Hi again, I am stuck on how to add an adopted child, is there a way to do it ?
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Ji chrimeea,

well - this is another topic. Just try to handle it in short under this label.

If you are using a 2.9x version of the software, there aren't specific settings for that case: Just add a child and write something down under "notes".

As far as you are already using a 3.0 beta version (which is a test version of the upcoming new Ahnenblatt), it will be possible to add children and then set the specific role of the parent: adoptive, natural, step, foster (I don't know the exact terms), even multiple parents are possible then.

Just to know: The 3.0 version will be paying in full mode - only a reduced version will be free after the beta test is finished.

Frido

Antworten