New person template

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
Sylvia Caras

New person template

Beitrag von Sylvia Caras »

I'm a new user. I've begun a tree by importing a gedcom. Now I'd like to add other fields to the new person template. Is there a way to do this now, once I've started?
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 28 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hello Sylvia,

you mean, you've started using Ahnenblatt 3.0 Beta? It's a test version, after all. I admit, I use it with my family data, too - but you've got to be careful. There might be data loss you don't realize immediately - so keep older versions of your family data!

Indeed, there is a thing like a new person template, and you can change it at every moment you want to. Just open a person into the editor window, select tab "facts" and click "add one more fact" (a green "+" symbol). You will then see a list of fourty something different facts in the tab "all" - those with a yellow star are default facts, so called 'favourites' (part of what you called a "new persons template"). Select a fact and add it to the "favourites" by checking the box or uncheck the box to remove it.

That's it. Good luck!

Frido
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Sylvia Caras

Beitrag von Sylvia Caras »

2.99 . I just downloaded what I found, a few weeks ago, to test. I like the program very much.

I don't see any 'facts' option for existing persons. I do see those choices when setting up a new tree.

I could export what I have, delete, set new fact fields, import. Will that make a mess?
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Oh, I see. Sorry for talking about something absolutely different!

Version 2.99 is a special sort of version as it features only a limited set of data fields as did the former versions of Ahnenblatt - but the rest of GEDCOM data is already supported in the background. The upcoming version 3.0 (we are in a beta test period) will then handle all those facts in the foreground.

In 2.99 ("2.99 b" is out with some error corrections), there are no templates that could be changed. Only the facts actively supported by the software and the other facts which run along. We are just migrating from the former 'very simple' versions into a 'full GEDCOM support' version, and what you found is a work-in-transition.
Sylvia Caras hat geschrieben:I could export what I have, delete, set new fact fields, import. Will that make a mess?
All existing data should be preserved. What has been imported from a GEDCOM file should be exported 'as is' - unless it has been changed directly. You can add other fact fields in another software and reimport - but I wonder whether you can change the additional fields. Don't think so.

Frido

Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

The beta test version for Ahnenblatt 3.0 evolved a lot. Quite a number of users already use it as a productive version. There is only one thing you should know about it: The beta versions will expire when the final one is out - and the full edition of the final version will be paying (about 35 EUR, some day).

Download currently only from german website: https://www.ahnenblatt.de/betatest-ahnenblatt-3-0/ but user interface already in different languages.

You can give it a try - just save a backup file of your data from time to time (as you should do anyway)!

Frido

bjew

Beitrag von bjew »

Hallo, Frido,
du kannst aber dennoch den Hinweis geben, dass mit den Daten mit der kostenfreien Version weiter verarbeitet werden können - also keine Einbahnstrasse.
Natürlich sind dann nicht mehr alle Features möglich.
Bleibt gesund, Gruß
bjew (Bernhard) ------ derzeit fast nicht aktiv
System: Win10 auf Laptop mit i7 --- Ahnenblatt 2.74 (als Backup), 2.99[p] u. V3.56
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Right, Bernhard,

there will still be a version free of charge in Ahnenblatt 3.0 - with reduced features. I'm not really sure if you will be able to use a custom facts selection - don't think so. The data you already have added won't be lost anyhow but will continue to show up.

Just to not confuse anyone.

Frido

Antworten