Ahnenblattportal Forum Index
 •Portal  •Imprint  •Forum  •Search  •Profile  •Log in to check your private messages  •Log in   •Register  

Does Version 3. Allow For Adoptions?

PeteC

Topics: 1

usa.gif

PostPosted: 10.04.2020, 17:21    Does Version 3. Allow For Adoptions?  Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been using the free version 2.87.
I have discovered that a grandfather was born to a family with a different name.

Later it appears his mother remarried and her children were adopted by her new husband.

I have not found a way to include this process in version 2.87.
I have reviewed the manual for version 3.0 and can find the word "adopt" in only one place. From the short description there I can't tell if the existence of an adoption is fully integrated into Ahnenblatt or is an "aside" just noted somewhere.
I would be happy to buy the full version if I was confident this situation was integrated fully. I know there is a demo version but I would be more confident if someone with full knowledge could answer my question.
Thank you so much.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Fridolin
Super Moderator

Topics: 124

germany.gif

PostPosted: 10.04.2020, 21:10    (No subject)  Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Pete,

the free version is on level 2.99k or so. You might want to follow the development unto that point. That way the software will do safe with all newer developments of the data model - you can open a 3.x file without any issues; it just won't be able to handle all data entries and you can't edit everything.

In AB 3.0x, you will have the possibility to use all data fields existing within GEDCOM and you can even go beyond and define your own fields. What's best is the possibility to enter multiple values: Just add a second and a third "living place", "name" or what so ever.

For "Name", you have the variants "as known as", "Birth name", "immigrant name", "before first marriage" (which isn't the same as "birth name" because of a possible adoption), "pseudonym", "religious name", "adoptive name", "name after divorce", "name of farm", "tribal name" and "variant of name".

And the relation to a parent can be "natural", "adopted", "step", "foster", "related", "guardian", "sealed" (a mormon specialty, I guess) and "unknown".

Best of all: You can try everything - just download an AB 3.0x version and install it (along with your 2.8x). You can open any file, but you can't add new persons if you are beyond 50 (I think).

One single problem: Dirk has started to rework the Navigator (main window) and it is not running smooth for everybody (an issue with too small characters on some screens). I haven't tested it yet.

Give it a try - it's worth it!

Frido

Empfehlung: Für die neue Version 3.0x die Handbücher lesen!

OfflineView user's profilePersonal Gallery (1)Send private message    
PeteC

usa.gif

PostPosted: 10.04.2020, 22:14    (No subject)  Reply with quoteBack to top

Frido,

Thank you so much.
I just upgraded to 2.99.

When I know I will have some time I will look into 3.0.
It seems to do what I am stuck on.
Thanks Again,

Pete

Fridolin
Super Moderator

Topics: 124

germany.gif

PostPosted: 10.04.2020, 22:22    (No subject)  Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, I forgot: There are manuals in English now - for the basic functions in AB 3.0x:

https://www.ahnenblatt.com/manuals/

Empfehlung: Für die neue Version 3.0x die Handbücher lesen!

OfflineView user's profilePersonal Gallery (1)Send private message    
PeteC

usa.gif

PostPosted: 10.04.2020, 22:43    (No subject)  Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, I already looked at that.
It was hard for me to tell if it took care of what I needed.
Thanks.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

Board Security