including adopted father side in family tree

Gesperrt
rogert

including adopted father side in family tree

Beitrag von rogert »

hi. i have just discovered this software last night and now i am busy filling it in.

my siblings and i were adopted by our single Dad. we have knowledge of our family relatives since we were adopted in our teens so that is not a problem. how do i take my adopted Dad's side of the family and include him and his side in my family tree? any suggestions?
Marcus Jochum

Beitrag von Marcus Jochum »

Hi Rogert

i tried creating two different trees including one child with two different parents and merged them afterwards. after merging, the child has two different pairs of parents; both of them are reported in the "father" and "mother" links, divided by semicolons. so far, so good.
the problem is, that - from the child - you can only reach the second couple by searching for them, you don't have any links in the navigator view or in the printed pedigree chart.
the other way around, you can't reach the child from the second parents. it's not visible in the navigator, but it's in their list of children.
EDIT: just found out, that the child IS visible if you print a chart of decendants of couple number two

so, theoretically that method does work, but it's not really comfortable and the program will ask you what's wrong with that child.

so, if that is enough for you, it's viable, but not beautiful ;)

maybe someone else has a better solution ( as i'm also not sure, if this is gonna work if you export in .ged standard....)

bye
Marcus
Nachfahre
Super Moderator

Beitrag von Nachfahre »

Hi Rogert,

Welcome to the Ahnenblatt-Portal !

Yep, your constellation is a little bit tricky for a genealogy program.
The real issue is, that if you have 2 fathers and 2 mothers, you actually have a three-dimensional tree. ( two complete trees behind each other )
This is hard to display in a two dimensional print out.

A work around could be, you separate both trees in two different files. (or in one file as two islands, which are family trees, which don't have a connection to each other))
In other words, you have a biological family tree as well as a social family tree.

If you want to have them all in one print-out, you can create two graphics and conjunct them together with a graphic program ( like Gimp ).

Or you try Marcus Jochum trick how to merge them with Ahnenblatt.

have fun,
- Othmar
Alles was ich heute tue, ist wichtig, gebe ich doch einen ganzen Tag meines Lebens dafuer.
/ George Bernard Shaw
Marcus Jochum

Beitrag von Marcus Jochum »

Hi again Rogert!

After reading Othmar's post about combining two files I had an idea how you could get them on a single printout AND make it good-looking:
Try something like an hourglass form.
First, you print your biological tree of ancestors with your own little frame on the base of the tree. Next, print the social one upside down (there's a dropdown box to choose where "you" are positioned). And finally glue or digitally merge them together.
That would be a workaround without having to add a third dimension (which I actually would really like to see ;) )

Good night
Marcus
Gesperrt