Error message

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
sertolicell

Error message

Beitrag von sertolicell »

Hi -
I think this is where to post this recurring issue. I keep getting a
"Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 0074B110 in Modul 'Ahnenblatt.exe' Lesen von Adresse 00000004"

I think that is, as per Google translate, an access violation at a certain address for the program file. I have attached a screen shot.

The error sort of goes about after 10(ish) "ok" clicks, but has reappeared all/most times that I have used the software

Win 7 using version 3.14 full version

Cheers
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 28 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi sertolicell,

right, this is an access violation of the program code. You shouldn't save your data after this having appeared - as in any software.

Have you already found a sort of recipe to have it appear? Dirk will need to find the bug to eliminate this error - and that's easier when he knows what the user's last 2 or 3 steps were. And some special conditions? (multiple screens or so?)

Will need a little patience.
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
sertolicell

Nothing in particular. I have been using two monitors for years with no issue with the program albeit I have upgraded monitors recently - don't believe the error is new to the new monitors though. One possibility is the length of time that the program is open since the error doesn't appear until hours into my genealogy researching day. Going forward I will document my actions prior to the error, it's not a very frequent occurrence but frequent enough to be concerning.

What issue will I run into if I have saved? There have been times where I have hours of entered data and the lose without saving would have been huge. I typically save frequently but sometimes the save comes later
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Please save only into a new file after an error occured. An access violation may mean that data has been written into a wrong place so your file may be corrupted. And keep the old file for the case you only later on realize that your data isn't consistent any more.

However, your error message was only about reading data from a wrong place. But that, too, means that the internal program pointers are mixed up.

sertolicell

Hi
Too late for that, however, I think I may know part of the error issue - you comment triggered a few neurons.

During opening of the program, (after saving post error message) the inconsistent date message would appear, the message where a user is asked about (I am trying to recall) 01/01/xx rather that 1/1/xx - something like that. Could this be the issue?

As an aside, is there a way to compare an older ahn file to one of my more recent saves to check for inconsistencies that may have arisen via my misguided saves?

Cheers
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

I'm not aware of any tools handling with *.ahn files. But if you from time to time should have exported your data into GEDCOM (*.ged) format, there are tons of tools to deal with that format. I'm sorry I haven't used any of these yet.

But there are folks here on the forum who have. There is, e.g. an Excel tool collection named GedTool - with a free version that runs for 20 days. You could look after any gedcom validator as well.

To compare different *.ged files, I always used a text editor with a compare function (Notepad++). You just get a coloured table of the two files next to each other and can walk from coloured line to coloured line.

But first try the built-in integrity check from AB! Some users from other genealogy software use AB only for that. (EDIT > INTEGRITY CHECK with some options to be set before in the EXTRAS > OPTIONS)

sertolicell

Hi again -
GEDCOM validators I have used in the past - thanks for the reminder.

As for the error, I left the program open overnight, and went back to it today and the error appeared. It appears to be a length of time issue. Leaving the program open in the background for an extended period of time led to the error message on the first click back into the program.

Cheers
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Thanks for reporting!

sertolicell

Please report back and let us (me :shock: ) know if this is/was the issue

Cheers
bjew

Beitrag von bjew »

@Frido, zur Übersetzung, das scheint mir ein alter Fehler zu sein, habe ihn auch schon mehrfach berichtet. Ob das AB, die verwendeten Bibliotheken oder Win ist, vermag ich nicht zu sagen.
Eine spezielle Rückmeldung wird es nicht geben.
Bleibt gesund, Gruß
bjew (Bernhard) ------ derzeit fast nicht aktiv
System: Win10 auf Laptop mit i7 --- Ahnenblatt 2.74 (als Backup), 2.99[p] u. V3.56
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi sertolicell,

Bernhard is not very confident that the bug will be found and eliminated. He thinks it's an older issue which he faced several times, too. But on the other side, I had problems like that only years ago - so would think there are ways you can get out of this.

But indeed, I don't have Win7 any more. And have erased some faults I had in my data: like unnecessary line breaks and things like that.

Bernhard, on the other side, reported a similar error several times to Dirk and hasn't found out if it was due to the operating system (Windows), a routine library or Ahnenblatt itself. No good conditions for prompt repair so far.

sertolicell

Thanks for the updates
Antworten