WWW link support?

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
SO

WWW link support?

Beitrag von SO »

Hi, and first of all thanks for a great job.

One wish although. Do you have any plans to add support to open web links straight in the browser? I and many other use a lot of web references and notes and that would be really helpful option because no one wants to copypaste weblinks :)
If it is possible so that pasted web address automatically creates link would be so cool.
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi, SO,

the software is developed and maintained by only one person - as a spare time project. The forum on the other hand is populated by some more people. So you can guess - the wish list is evolving not too badly.

Indeed, there is a version 3.0 in the pipeline for a couple of years already. With a load of new features. But nobody knows when it will come out. And we don't know either, whether there will be a browser engine built in as well. It's freeware though.

The forum administrators maintain a wish list - what means: either it's already on, or we will put it on the list: Browsing functionality in the Sources section and elsewhere.

BTW: Very welcome to the forum! There should always be someone round to give a hint when something makes you stumbling. I'm rather a newby, too.

Fridolin
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
SO

Beitrag von SO »

Thanks, I alreardy guessed the answer, but better talk than be quiet :)
I think it is not necessary to build internal browser engine, but just add support to open web links on the os default browser. But just a suggestion, I totally understand one man projects.
Just didnt find anything related to this, and decided to suggest...

Cheers
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

To be honest, I haven't started to note whole URLs - just put the web site address into the source field. I'm too lazy, and am quite sure that in a few years most of the links will be outdated. But meanwhile...

Online databases grow around like mushrooms in autumn, so it would make sense to a lot of people, I suppose.

What I do know (because I've seen the software language file from 3.0), is that Dirk B. is planning to include online background search capabilities into the next big step of the software. So genealogy will be like leaning back and letting the software browse the web. :wink:
Zuletzt geändert von Fridolin am 09.02.2017, 13:31, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

SO

Beitrag von SO »

Many of church books here in Finland are scanned on the web, then there is use for example geni.com also and so on. Of course you have to record books also but when for example take a couple weeks pause it is convinient to paste web address and continue again from that.

Cheers,
SO
SO

Beitrag von SO »

But, again as stated, I totally understand resources... All this is just ment to be something to think about.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

After a month or so of wondering around I finally found the listed overview of user wishes and desires (in German).

So I can now report that your idea, SO, was first brought up in mid 2016 by a user named Abubiju. Your ideas are definitely part of the wish list:
1204 __W__ Links in den erzeugten Dokumenten aktiv/anklickbar.
1203 __W__ Links in Anmerkungen und Quelle aktiv/anklickbar.
meaning that web links shall be active in the data editor as well as in the produced reports and tables.

We'll see if there is a chance to get that feature.

Fridolin

Antworten