Lost pictures with Ahnenblatt portable

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
Bastien

Lost pictures with Ahnenblatt portable

Beitrag von Bastien »

I'm trying today Ahnenblatt portable.
For the gedcom ou ahn files, it's ok, but Ahnenblatt lost the way of my pictures if I copy my genealogy directory on an usb key.

I've all tried (ahnenblatt.ini, etc...), but nothing.
It's an issue of relative or absolute ways, I assume ?
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

The portable Ahnenblatt versions work differently than most users expect. They are maid to take your family on an USB-Stick with you to show others.

For that you open Ahnenblatt, and load your family (from your hard disc). Then you save the ".ahn"-File to your USB-Stick. Ahnenblatt recognizes this change of media and asks you if you want to save your documents and pictures too. Do just that and then you have all files (the .ahn-file your documents & pictures from the family from all origin folders of your hard-disc) in one folder on your USB-Stick.

Warning: The way back does work just about the same way (one folder for all documents and pictures). There is no way to synchronize the (new or changed) pictures back to different origin folders! It's "just" an easy way to collect all your data and be sure it works on the other computer - no matter which letter will be associated to the stick or how experienced you are with computers. For that reason the paths (ways) are hard-coded in the portable versions.
Marcus
Bastien

Beitrag von Bastien »

Good help, thank you very much :D
I've installed Ahnenblatt portable on a USB stick, and save my file on this stick from the Ahenblatt on the HD. And now, with the Ahnenblatt portable, I can read the saved file with pictures :coolp:

Anyway to save the configuration from Ahenblatt to Ahnenblatt portable (ini file ?) ?
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

Bastien hat geschrieben:Anyway to save the configuration from Ahenblatt to Ahnenblatt portable (ini file ?) ?
You can copy the "Ahnblatt.ini" file from the installed version to the portable version. BUT I would not recommend doing that, since I don't know which side-effects that could have. ;)
Marcus
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 28 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

If I didn't misunderstand things about the Ahnblatt.ini within AB Portable, first of all, the copied version would be deleted after the next session of AB Portable. Indeed (as I mean to have understood), AB Portable writes a new version of Ahnblatt.ini at the end of a session (just like standard Ahnenblatt), but then deletes it immediately with the help of ResetConfig.bat (in the Prog folder). I gave it a try to rename ResetConfig.bat - and a new Ahnblatt.ini was preserved for the next start, so I could restart the portable version with the settings chosen before.

Well, but don't tell anybody ;-) as I don't know the side effects either! I haven't tested. You should try it that way only if you are a little used to what computers do...

Frido
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Antworten