GEDCOM upload - duplicate children

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
moofy

GEDCOM upload - duplicate children

Beitrag von moofy »

Hello,
I have started testing the Ahnenblatt software yesterday and I think I would really like to switch to it from my current program.
However, when I upload my GEDCOM file, there's an issue. A lot of my ancestor records get somehow duplicated so that it looks like my great-grandfather had two daughters with a name Angela born in May 1911. If I delete one of them, the whole tree gets disconnected.
I am sure I do something wrong but cannot find a solution...

I would be grateful for an advice...
Thanks a lot!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi moofy,

welcome to the Ahnenblatt world. There is a small but friendly community along and a software developer who is open to help, too.

I was puzzled about your issue: It sounds quite close to a description we got some days ago in the German part of the forum (double persons after importing GEDCOM). Don't remember where it was exported from. But never heard about a thing like that before. I still think you should have a closer look into you GEDCOM file - with a text editor like Notepad++.

Or you ask directly Dirk Böttcher, the programmer. You find his email address via the software: menu [?] > [Info]. In case you would be ready to leave him your file to test it.
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
moofy

Beitrag von moofy »

Hello Fridolin,

thanks a lot for your kind welcome & answer!

I opened the GEDCOM file with notepad and to be honest, I cannot see any issue there. I searched for my great-grandmother Angela Mangold because she is the only Angela in my data set. I found her name just once (except for the picture section where her name appears multiple times). My download is from GENI, but I think Ahnenblatt would suit my needs a lot better. I downloaded the first version of Ahnenblatt I found online (definitely not the newest one) just to test what it can do. Really impressed with all the possibilities... If only I could get rid of the duplicates.

I will try to contact Mr Böttcher directly... Thanks a lot for your support!
moofy

Beitrag von moofy »

I kept playing with my GEDCOM file and I found out that when I download the list "Blood Relatives" I have no issue. However, when I download "Forest including in-law trees" I always get the issue with duplicate children. Still do not understand why but at least I found a way to work with my data...:) Posting my solution just in case someone runs into the same problem...
Thanks.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Very interesting! Thanks!

With "Blood Relatives", you probably won't have all persons included, do you?

ahnenarmin
Danksagung erhalten: 18 Mal

Beitrag von ahnenarmin »

Implex?
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

No, exactly the same couple has all children twice (see issue.docx). That's no issue of an implex. You can't tell more if you don't see the GEDCOM file.

Antworten