Nombre compuesto

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

I started a new family file. Created a new person. I put "Maria Eugenia" into [First Name] and "Vasquez de Santos" into [Birth Name]. The [data] table shows the property "name" as "Maria Eugenia Vasquez de Santos". And no problem to get the full name into a table/chart.

So I still don't fully understand your problem. We are lacking a precise description of your situation: What exactly do you mean by "name" field? I can't see a "name" field in Ahnenblatt at all.

Could you either post a short snippet of your GEDCOM file or an image of your desktop. If you don't know how, I'll explain to you!

Inside our forum, you need to switch from the Quick Editor into Full Editor mode [e.g. through the "Preview" button] to see the "Add attachment" part: Just select your file, add a comment if you want and hit [Send].
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Pericotrino

Beitrag von Pericotrino »

Correct, if filling in (name) and (birth name) works as you say, my problem is that the gedcom database that I import has the (name) "Marie Antoinette" and nothing in (birth name), and it only prints in the tree "Maria", the first word.
In Ahnenblatt 2, I don't have that problem.
I will have to copy in (birth name) all the names and that is a lot of work.

Thank you very much.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

No. I'm not finished with your problem. I would like to understand what it is about. Because basically, Ahnenblatt 2 and 3 have the same data handling. So something that works in AB 2, should work in AB 3, too. That's why I asked for a small portion from your GEDCOM file:

GEDCOM files can be opened with a simple text editor. It is complicated to edit them without making mistakes, but it can be done. If only a simple tag name is wrong, we might be able to correct that with a single REPLACE command.

Interested?

Pericotrino

Basically AB2 AB3 work the same way, but in AB2 there is no cover for (birth name), only (names), with AB3 if I don't cover (birth name) it doesn't refer me to the compound name when we create a tree, but is seen on screen.
Pericotrino

To pass the names to (birth name) I'll have to learn how to handle gedcom files, but for now I get by using AB2.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

I'd love to solve your problem. It makes me curious. Sometimes, different genealogy programs aren't fully compatible and create problems while transfering data. But I don't understand why this should happen between AB 2 and 3.

How do you feel about entrusting your data to DirkB or me for testing? We could share it in a private note (PN).

Pericotrino

Thank you very much for the help, but between the language and the fact that I'm bad at using computers, I don't want to bother you.
Try in your database to represent a tree of descendants with [name] a compound name "Julio Alberto" and nothing in the [birth name], does Julio Alberto come out represented in the tree?

In my case, AB3 only represents the compound name in the tree if it is in [birth name].

I have no problem sharing privately, but I'm not sure how to do that and I'm really clumsy.
Pericotrino

On the other hand, I have exported the gedcom file to CSV and it has been easy to copy the [name] to [birth name] of the entire database and now I can create the tree with the compound names.

Luckily no one had data on [name of birth] so I was able to modify all the items at once.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hey, you seem to have got it sorted out!

Make sure, that with exporting and re-importing to CSV noting got lost: All persons and relations should be fine, but I'm not sure if global sources or global places info is preserved. But probably, you didn't have that sort of information...

Congratulations!

If you are not happy with the result, feel free to show up again: I'm willing to check your family file (*.ged or *.ahn).

Pericotrino

OK thank you.

I work with two gedcom databases, one with 300 and the other with approximately 2000 people. In the first one, since I don't have data in [birth name], I haven't had any problems when copying from [name] to [birth name], in the Second, I have to check calmly in case I have to organize that data.

In any case, I think that they (the developers of the program) should study the case so that the compound names reflected in [name] can be represented in a tree, imagine that [birth name] was covered, it would take a lot of work to reorder all the data .
Pericotrino

Good morning, I need help, I have managed to modify the gedcom file of my base to have the [name] as [birth name] and thus be able to represent the compound names in a tree.
My question, how should I integrate the new gedcom into the .ahn base to be able to keep images related to people?
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

A family file for Ahnenblatt is either a *.ged (GEDCOM 5.1.1) or a *.ahn (proprietary) format file. Yes, of course, you can get them combined - but that is _not_ what you would want! This way, you'd have your names both under "name" and ""birth name".

Instead, I'm pretty sure that you should just use your *.ged file and everything should be fine - including the links to your media files - given that you didn't change the name or local place of those files!

Pericotrino

Ok, I'll try.

Since I wasn't entirely sure how modifying the .gedcom file would work, I renamed it in case I messed it up.

Sorry for my clumsiness, I'll repeat the process.

Thanks.
Fridolin

Beitrag von Fridolin »

No evidence of clumsiness yet. All's fine. Rather rename the backup.

Antworten